Dial

Postby amcamx on Tue May 27, 2014 6:05 pm

How does Huffman know what to dial?
amcamx

Re: Dial

Postby Travis Horton on Tue May 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Experience and years of data.
1962 Chevy Bel Air 409 1961 Chevy Impala 348
Mr. T doesn't break wind... he destroys it.
Travis Horton

Postby OLD YELLER on Tue May 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Sure enough it was tough to outguess the car Sunday.......When they vary that much dialing is double tough :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The older I get, the better I was.....
OLD YELLER

Postby amcamx on Tue May 27, 2014 7:23 pm

He only ran one time Sunday, 6.21, but it was on every pass.
amcamx

Postby GrantCarson on Tue May 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Pretty sure he is cheating.
Lifetimes of fun 8 seconds at a time!!!
GrantCarson

Postby amcamx on Tue May 27, 2014 9:09 pm

I have believed that 20%, is as good as it gets. Double 0 light, and 20% chance of red. On the Dial, and 20% chance of breakout. Anything better, and you beat the odds.
This was for a 3,900 lb bracket car, with a pump gas motor.
But, this could be a tube chassis car, with a high dollar bracket motor. If track and weather conditions favored a setup on a certain day, it could maybe do no wrong. If he can do it anywhere, anytime, anyplace, that could be cause for concern.
The best bracket racers, I have ever known, only ran as good as they had to.
amcamx

Postby amcamx on Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 am

Years ago, I used to win a lot. Years later, people have told me my car was consistent. Was it? No, as it varied tenth, upon tenth in the eighth mile. Back then you could not change the dial, yet I could run the dial every round, if need be. 1st round, I was about 5 under, ride the brakes, and take the win. 2nd round about on the dial, and as I was ahead, because of a reaction advantage of .05-.08 on the class, which is another story, and I could match closer than that. 3rd round go to Nitrous 100 ft from the finish line, 4th 200, and 5th 300ft which is about half track on the eighth.
Caused trouble, as they knew I was not a good enough driver, and did not have good enough equipment, to do what I did. Never have been, best driver, and never will have best equipment. Bracket racing is problem solving, and back then I could think better, when younger.
MoKan has been a though track to dial on, so how was it done?
I did not think a rail could do it, as they are light and fast, and therefore have to have a tall gear.
A door car can have a low gear, which causes the trans ratio spread to close up, and act like close ratio. Less rpm change during a run, means more consistent.
Rail drivers try to do the same thing with power slip trans. However with the tall gear, they do not slip the same.
If the setup was to skim the tires, it may have worked. Skim 100ft skim 50ft, same ET. Here is how.
Skim 100ft then hook, the hit is harder, but later, and 50ft, sooner but softer, as the rpm is lower. Both ET may come out the same, even though every other number on the time slip is different. The skim may be the same out of the stage beams, which means the same start.
Here we go again, spin for the win, as per previous post.
amcamx

Postby OLD YELLER on Wed May 28, 2014 9:06 pm

You know,I never thought about all these possibilities,but I think you're onto something :idea: :idea:
amcamx wrote:Years ago, I used to win a lot. Years later, people have told me my car was consistent. Was it? No, as it varied tenth, upon tenth in the eighth mile. Back then you could not change the dial, yet I could run the dial every round, if need be. 1st round, I was about 5 under, ride the brakes, and take the win. 2nd round about on the dial, and as I was ahead, because of a reaction advantage of .05-.08 on the class, which is another story, and I could match closer than that. 3rd round go to Nitrous 100 ft from the finish line, 4th 200, and 5th 300ft which is about half track on the eighth.
Caused trouble, as they knew I was not a good enough driver, and did not have good enough equipment, to do what I did. Never have been, best driver, and never will have best equipment. Bracket racing is problem solving, and back then I could think better, when younger.
MoKan has been a though track to dial on, so how was it done?
I did not think a rail could do it, as they are light and fast, and therefore have to have a tall gear.
A door car can have a low gear, which causes the trans ratio spread to close up, and act like close ratio. Less rpm change during a run, means more consistent.
Rail drivers try to do the same thing with power slip trans. However with the tall gear, they do not slip the same.
If the setup was to skim the tires, it may have worked. Skim 100ft skim 50ft, same ET. Here is how.
Skim 100ft then hook, the hit is harder, but later, and 50ft, sooner but softer, as the rpm is lower. Both ET may come out the same, even though every other number on the time slip is different. The skim may be the same out of the stage beams, which means the same start.
Here we go again, spin for the win, as per previous post.
The older I get, the better I was.....
OLD YELLER

Postby hoggieman racing on Thu May 29, 2014 2:53 am

I've heard Curt say, "Its all about the sticky Mickey Thompson tires". That is the secret he is not letting you know about! :nice:
Image BIG BLOCKS
hoggieman racing

Postby driver38ss on Thu May 29, 2014 7:59 pm

(Watch Out) old Huffman has been at this a long time he has a trick up his sleeve every Race :-D
driver38ss

Return to Bench Racing