Crash at Sundays TNT 2/18/18

General racing discussion.

Moderators: mokangena, DN, scottab, Carl Blanton

crankitup

Crash at Sundays TNT 2/18/18

Post by crankitup »

Does anyone know what cased the crash at the far end of the track Sunday? Have you heard how the driver is doing?
amcamx

Re: Crash at Sundays TNT 2/18/18

Post by amcamx »

Broke suspension was one guess, but drag vehicles are not rated on a skid pad, but maybe should be. A low number, and the ET and MPH would be limited. Doggy rail.
Rack and pinion steering, 4 link, and big spongy tires, with no anti sway bars, can result in a side to side bounce, a loss of control, and a crash.
A ladder bar, has its own anti sway bar, by design.
The small tire cars, do not seem to have that much of a problem.
92camaro

Post by 92camaro »

The dragster that rolled simply tried making the second turn off too fast.
Not sure why they didn't go for the last turn off.
peace among worlds
amcamx

Post by amcamx »

I heard it was a Truck.
amcamx

Post by amcamx »

Rolled 8 times.
84foxbox

Post by 84foxbox »

Terrible crash.. hope driver is ok
1984 Ford Mustang GT (sbc) 6.37
2004 Dodge Ram 3500
2011 Ford Fusion Sport
1979 Ford F100 custom (sbc powered)
2006 Nissan 350z Nismo
80BU

Post by 80BU »

Just my opinion mind you but I think any explanations of what happened are purely speculation. I would say that the only person who might know would be the driver. These things can happen so quickly that he might not even know.

Also was there someone who was counting how many times the truck rolled over? I don't think there is any video or anything else to confirm that.
92camaro

Post by 92camaro »

There is an Urban Hillbilly Video of the truck crash online.

And I was in the other lane when the dragster rolled, watched the whole thing.
peace among worlds
amcamx

Post by amcamx »

What went wrong? Not much, but when the one in a million odds, are against you.
1 Cleared the finish line, but there was some smoke. Could be alright, as drag motors are set up loose.
2 He was out of the throttle, all at once. This is not good, as the motor goes from zero vacuum, to high, and it will try to pull the rods apart. Even if the motor does not blow, and lock up, but may have, the compression braking will try to skid the rear wheels, along with the foot brakes.
3 The rear did come around to the right, lets say, at 45 degrees. Not too bad, the driver should steer to the right, and come out of it, or lock up the brakes, and it will continue on, in the same direction, which is straight, just out of shape.
4 The driver may not have, steered to the right, or locked the brakes, the end of the guard rail, snagged the left rear wheel, causing the rear to lift, and the vehicle to turn a full 90 degrees to the left, and barrel roll, many times, and flip end over end, and land on what wheels were left.
5 All 4 wheels may have been off the ground, when the roll started.
One in a million odds, of snagging the rear wheel, with the end of the guard rail, but it happened.
Were there skid marks, on the track, welds, or Heim joints broke? Yes, the rear end was out, but that may have happened anyway, after hitting the guardrail, and breaking it loose.
Any other ideas?
amcamx

Post by amcamx »

I too, have been upside down on the Drag strip. Crashed the Drag Bike 9-75, at KCIR, due to a Tank slapper, speed wobble, and flipped end over end, at 112mph. Broke my right leg in two places, spend 10 days in Intensive care, and 6 weeks, in the Hospital, and I was out of work, for about two years. My Wife said, no more modifies. I can race, just not fast, and may have the slowest car in the class.
Fast is fun, and works better for Racing.