Cheap Street this Friday 4-17-09

Shootout class and racing discussion.

Moderators: mokangena, DN, scottab, Carl Blanton

Benzo

Re: Cheap Street this Friday 4-17-09

Post by Benzo »

I believe this car was in the tens. Where at in the tens? I don't know. Its just the news we got at the gate.
1980 Mustang Coupe
2002 Cannon 505 BBC
Carl Blanton
Senior Weasel

Post by Carl Blanton »

Actually no legal cars showed. The S-10 had a 4-link and the Dart had illegal tires. One car showed after the 8 p.m. qualifier, that might have been legal, but we had already called it done.
shadowwolf

Post by shadowwolf »

i hate it because i dont want to see this class go but at the same time i know that i cant really do anything about it. neither one of my cars would be competitve even with a power adder and then i risk breaking something(the problem is that it would have to be fixed immedietly.).
72 Buick Skylark,350 buick/350
80BU

Post by 80BU »

shadowwolf wrote:i hate it because i dont want to see this class go but at the same time i know that i cant really do anything about it. neither one of my cars would be competitve even with a power adder and then i risk breaking something(the problem is that it would have to be fixed immedietly.).
I'm with you. I personally cannot afford a 9 second "cheap" class car. I would like to run some heads up racing, but I guess 12 second heads up racing is the second most boring thing going, :lol: with bracket racing being the most boring.........or so I've been told. :lol:
rusty

Post by rusty »

[/quote]
I'm with you. I personally cannot afford a 9 second "cheap" class car. I would like to run some heads up racing, but I guess 12 second heads up racing is the second most boring thing going, :lol: with bracket racing being the most boring.........or so I've been told. :lol:[/quote]

bob, if you want to race heads up in cheap street, just do it. if your car is class legal and if you would have tried on friday night, then you would have won. you keep bringing up these 9 second cars but there wasnt any there friday night, or so i was told. it seams everyone is worried about being competitive so they dont come out and race but if no one shows up then no one will evern know just how fast this class is. i can tell you that when i get my little motor done, and if this class isnt canceled, then i'll be in it and my car should run mid 10's on a small shot.
80BU

Post by 80BU »

rusty wrote:
I'm with you. I personally cannot afford a 9 second "cheap" class car. I would like to run some heads up racing, but I guess 12 second heads up racing is the second most boring thing going, :lol: with bracket racing being the most boring.........or so I've been told. :lol:[/quote]

bob, if you want to race heads up in cheap street, just do it. if your car is class legal and if you would have tried on friday night, then you would have won. you keep bringing up these 9 second cars but there wasnt any there friday night, or so i was told. it seams everyone is worried about being competitive so they dont come out and race but if no one shows up then no one will evern know just how fast this class is. i can tell you that when i get my little motor done, and if this class isnt canceled, then i'll be in it and my car should run mid 10's on a small shot.[/quote]

Hey Rusty...hows the build going?

I didn't actually bring up the 9 second times. Someone else did, but it doesn't matter because I couldn't be competitive in the class anyway. I'm simply not going to run in a class where I have no chance to be competitive. I don't want to be just a donor, so the class can live. I wish everyone else the best of luck & I hope people begin to show up for the class.

I am all about the racing & I don't care if it's heads up, index or bracket racing, BUT, whatever type of racing it is, I want to be competitive, not just drive down the track. Nothing exciting about having my a$$ waxed by 2-3 seconds or for that matter waxing someone else's by 2-3 seconds.
rusty

Post by rusty »

bod, the build is getting there. i've got everything but the new pistons and some fresh valve springs for the little motor(i think). should order the pistons next week, i spent part of the piston $$$ on some chassis parts for the mustang. i should know better that tinkering with multipule projects. the blower motor parts are pretty much there except for the block and the cam. i did get the $$$ refunded from crane but now i've got to start over on the cam, all i know is the lift,duration and lsa, i never got the cam card from them so i'll have to find another cam grinder and start fresh with them.
my whole point was(not just for you, bob), you will never know how fast this class if no one comes out to race. it just seems everyone is worried how fast the class is and about getting beat so no one is racing, just look at the turn out at the preview. if no "faster" cars are racing then the "slower" cars that are worried about getting beat should get out there and race. i know there are others still working on there cars so hopefully this class will pick up. this is just my 2 cents and i do not mean to offend anyone. :nice:
slimer68

Post by slimer68 »

I'm going to throw in my veiws and we ar'nt going to run the class. LOL. I agree with Bob, there is nothing cheap or true streetable about a car that runs 10.90 or quicker. I have been there. And we all know that there will be cars running at least that very soon. I hope that all the heads up classes work out, but the reason we bracket race today is because class racing only works for people with deep pockets. Look at the 60s and 70s. When I heard of the cheap street class I got excited, then I read the rules. You can build a 427+ cid small block with a 671 blower, but I can't run one on my 383cid big block. I think its great that Carl and crew are tring to come up with ways to get more cars to the track. I know thats what we all want. Maybe it was the "cheap street" name that threw me. Lets call it "hardcore street" and would know thats not me. Good luck to all that are running, and Bob I guess we will see you in Sportsman. Jimmy
We've done so much with so little for so long, that now, we can do anything with nothin'.

Hendry Racing
bad355_67camaro

Post by bad355_67camaro »

slimer68 wrote:I'm going to throw in my veiws and we ar'nt going to run the class. LOL. I agree with Bob, there is nothing cheap or true streetable about a car that runs 10.90 or quicker. I have been there. And we all know that there will be cars running at least that very soon. I hope that all the heads up classes work out, but the reason we bracket race today is because class racing only works for people with deep pockets. Look at the 60s and 70s. When I heard of the cheap street class I got excited, then I read the rules. You can build a 427+ cid small block with a 671 blower, but I can't run one on my 383cid big block. I think its great that Carl and crew are tring to come up with ways to get more cars to the track. I know thats what we all want. Maybe it was the "cheap street" name that threw me. Lets call it "hardcore street" and would know thats not me. Good luck to all that are running, and Bob I guess we will see you in Sportsman. Jimmy
My car is very streetable. It runs on 93 and runs 11.0-10.80's on the motor. I do agree with Rusty though, you can't piss and moan about how fast a class is going to be. No one knows how fast this class will be. Cheap Street will only be as fast as the cars who show up to race the class. You bracket guys, of all people, should know that it's not always the fastest car that wins. The other guy could break, red light, cross the centerline, or just blow the tires off and not go anywhere. Make all of your assumptions about ET's in the class, but no one will know unless the people show up to race the class. I would've been there but my car isn't legal right now because all of the interior is out of it.
New build for 2015
Thanks to our 2015 sponsors
http://www.timsbodyandglass.com
Bentune Performance & Fabrication
Performance Coatings (417)439-0546
C&R Transmission (417)736-2191
C&S Specialties Fuel Systems (636) 723-4996
5.30@135
8.36@167
shadowwolf

Post by shadowwolf »

what if we put a displacement limit on this class,or mark where the power adders could be used.
bad355_67camaro

In my opinion, the rules are fine the way they are. People just need to spread the word about the class. And for the people who know about it, but are afraid of losing, :roll: , quit whining. obviously there hasn't even been a legal car show up, so no one knows how fast the class will be. If my car was done, i would've been there.
New build for 2015
5.30@135
8.36@167
80BU

Post by 80BU »

bad355_67camaro wrote:In my opinion, the rules are fine the way they are. People just need to spread the word about the class. And for the people who know about it, but are afraid of losing, :roll: , quit whining. obviously there hasn't even been a legal car show up, so no one knows how fast the class will be. If my car was done, i would've been there.
Sorry Robert, I forgot......what did you say your car should run??
shadowwolf

Post by shadowwolf »

well i could throw nitrous in my syklark. at least ill be competitive for a couple of races. :-D
bad355_67camaro

80BU wrote:
bad355_67camaro wrote:In my opinion, the rules are fine the way they are. People just need to spread the word about the class. And for the people who know about it, but are afraid of losing, :roll: , quit whining. obviously there hasn't even been a legal car show up, so no one knows how fast the class will be. If my car was done, i would've been there.
Sorry Robert, I forgot......what did you say your car should run??

I've got a pretty good idea of what the car is capable of running, but there's no since in turning the car up if i don't need to. That's just a waste of money and more wear and tear on parts than it needs to be put on it.
New build for 2015
5.30@135
8.36@167
Redfire

Post by Redfire »

This class sounds like a blast. I'm planning on going Sat. May 30th. The rules are wide open, but that is to keep the car counts up.

I haven't run Mokan since '05, and I'm anxious to get back there. I had a great time, and got quite a few runs in.