98 Dodge OVERHEATING

Need help with your car?

Moderators: mokangena, DN, scottab, Carl Blanton

98 Dodge OVERHEATING

Postby nelson on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:03 pm

I have a Dodge half ton with the V8 and am having severe overheating issues. I have replaced the thermostat the water pump the radiator and even the heater core. It gets really hot and I have to shut it off around 230degrees. If I don't it will just keep climbing. When I pop the hood it sounds like the water is boiling. I have taken it to a reputable local shop with no success. I am afraid to drive it much or get too far from home. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. HELP!!!
nelson

Re: 98 Dodge OVERHEATING

Postby msims on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:49 pm

fast or slow on timing ???
msims

Postby msims on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:25 pm

exhuast plugged up???
msims

Postby amcamx on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Does the Electric Fan come on? If so, at about what temp? If too late, the temp can continue to climb.
The replacement radiators may be too small for the application. With a Heat gun, the temp should be 15degree difference, from top to bottom hose, of the radiator, with the fan on.
A bad radiator cap, may not hold enough pressure, to keep it from boiling.
If the coolent recovery system is not working right, the radiator can be low, on Antifreeze, and run hot.
amcamx

Postby nelson on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:25 pm

It doesn't have an electric fan. It has a clutch fan. As for exhaust it has a fairly free flowing exhaust with glass packs and has no signs of restriction. I don't have a temp gun but plan on getting one. The new rad I put in it is actually bigger than factory. I think its for a diesel and is larger. I was told to use that one by the rad shop. I also drilled a few holes in the thermostat to remove bubbles if I had any. As for timing I am not sure if off any. Cant seem to get a consistent answer as to what its supposed to be. Also, no oil in water and no water in oil. Thanks for all ur help. Will double check all those ideas to be sure. Oh, its fuel injection not carbureted.
nelson

Postby gto on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:41 am

do a block test to see if you have blown head gaskets. the test kit you can by at oreillys for around 40 bucks. :nice:
gto

Postby nelson on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Ok. I will try that. I'm not sure how to do that but thats why they print directions right. Lol. Thank you for all ur help.
nelson

Postby msims on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:11 pm

with engine cold take rad cap off then start it and see if compression blows coolant out ,,,,look for bubbles
msims

Postby amcamx on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 pm

If it has a bad head gasket, or cracked head, it would,
1. Use a lot of Antifreeze
2. Yes, have air in the cooling system, and fill up the recovery system
3. May have white smoke in the exhaust
4. The temp guage would move a lot, as it would read liquid, one moment, and air the next.
There is a kit to put pressure in the radiator. This may not tell where the leak is, just if there is one, as it would not hold pressure.
A compression test can find a weak cylinder.
A leak down test can find a weak cylinder.
An additive can seal a leak, but may not help, if the head is cracked.
If the cooling system holds pressure, it should not boil at 230F or even 260F.
amcamx

Postby nelson on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:04 am

I will double check all that. I know if u drive it then pop the hood it sounds like its bubbling and boiling. Thanks for the info. I am running out of hair to pull
nelson

Postby amcamx on Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:19 am

I think I now know, what they were talking about. If you put pressure on the cooling system, say 10psi, and it goes up fast, when the motor is started, when still cold, it could mean a bad head gasket, or cracked head.
amcamx

Postby nelson on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:47 pm

I am still fighting the overheating problem. Yesterday I popped off the rad cap and started it and had to keep adding fluid. It also kept having small bubbles come up and fluid go down. It wasn't blowing white smoke though. Is this a blown head gasket etc? Don't want to tear into the motor if I don't have to. Any ideas? Thank you for ur help. I love this truck and want to get it back up and running. It runs super strong just gets hot. Thanks again for your help. My local O'Reillys didn't have that kit that was mentioned
nelson

Postby msims on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:20 pm

blowed head gasket letting compression blow into coolant system but not sucking coolant into cylinder and burning it so no white smoke ////might take valvecovers off tighten head bolts
msims

Postby nelson on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:09 pm

Ok will do that. Do you know by any chance what the torque specs are on that? I can't find it on the web. Thank you for your help.
nelson

Postby amcamx on Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:39 am

Will a Comp or Leakdown test show which cylinder is bad?
A Magazine article said that if you are building a smallblock Mopar, do not use late model, salvage yard heads, as most of them are cracked.
If they are cracked, the crack may close up, when cold, and not show up on a comp, or leakdown test.
A bad head gasket, should show up.
So, hookup a pressure tester to the Radiator, and warm up the motor, and see if it holds pressure, after the engine is stopped.
Be careful, as the pressure may go too high.
amcamx

Next

Return to Tech Talk