Rainout

General racing discussion.

Moderators: mokangena, DN, scottab, Carl Blanton

amcamx

Rainout

Post by amcamx »

Good for some racers, but bad for the rest of us.
I think that Kleine's Wagon was running out of fuel.
Years ago, I had a 70 340 Cuda sixpak, and If I ran on the center 350cfm carb only, it would starve for fuel, and die on the track. It had two pumps, a cool can, and regulator, and a pressure gauge.
Kleine's run a 500 2bbl on E-85, and the cars that get down the track, must be close to starving for fuel. The Wagon has the tank further to the rear, and then they put shorter tires on the front, which pushed it over the edge. The richer jets, would starve it sooner.
amcamx

Re: Rainout

Post by amcamx »

I never did find a way, to keep the center carb, from starving, when on the 2bbl. It was a concern as I was running a 250HP Nitrous hidden system under the Sixpak. The fuel pressure never went below 3psi, even on Nitrous.
It could die on the track, with 3 psi, from vapor lock.
With 10x26 slicks, and 4:10 gear, and with mufflers, it would spin on Nitrous through low, and second, and it did not go straight.
When they wanted 1k for a plastic grill, 3k now, it was too rich for me, and I sold the four fish. They were too heavy, with the weight I had in the trunk, trying to hook up the sawed off tail things up. Not much overhang past the rear axle.
They were the nicest looking cars though.
amcamx

Post by amcamx »

I never did find a way, to keep the center carb, from starving, when on the 2bbl. It was a concern as I was running a 250HP Nitrous hidden system under the Sixpak. The fuel pressure never went below 3psi, even on Nitrous.
It could die on the track, with 3 psi, from vapor lock.
With 10x26 slicks, and 4:10 gear, and with mufflers, it would spin on Nitrous through low, and second, and it did not go straight.
When they wanted 1k for a plastic grill, 3k now, it was too rich for me, and I sold the four fish. They were too heavy, with the weight I had in the trunk, trying to hook up the sawed off tail things up. Not much overhang past the rear axle.
They were the nicest looking cars though.
ZKleine

Post by ZKleine »

I don’t know if you’re trying to bash our setup or what, but we’ve been running the 4412 carbs for 9 years and have never had problems getting down the track. Ran them on 350s and 383s with no issues. You’re previous problems were probably not being tuned quite right or something else going on with the car. :nice:
amcamx

Post by amcamx »

Just because you get down the track, does not mean, that your car is working right. But then maybe your racing secret is, to lean it out on the top end.
3psi of fuel pressure, on the finish line, is rule of thumb, but many racers would say that, that is too low.
Maybe it will not hurt the motor, but do you have so much money, that you want to take the chance?
ZKleine

Post by ZKleine »

Don’t really recall ever asking for advice on the topic, but when you throw my name out there I will chime in. Feel free to keep doing whatever works for you, and we’ll keep doing what works for us. Since my car doesn’t work feel free to pull up by me in the lanes. I’m a sitting duck! :shocked:
amcamx

Post by amcamx »

I am sorry that I exposed your racing secret.
92camaro

Post by 92camaro »

Good for me, my trans was about to come apart! :lol:
Making all kinds of clunking noises
peace among worlds
strike force

Post by strike force »

people be jealous when you're a winner